VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2019

From:
"Deal, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2019 13:33:41 -0400
The Library of Virginia's New Online Catalog System & Registration Process

An Improved Search Experience

On June 5, 2019, the Library of Virginia will begin using a new online
catalog and collection discovery system that will improve the user
experience, including:

·        A more modern, intuitive, and user-friendly design, similar to
other library catalogs and major online platforms

·        Search results ranked by relevance and the ability to refine your
search as you would on Amazon or other shopping sites

·        Stronger security for account holder information

·        Coming soon! Search integration with the Library’s digital
collections and databases
The new system will require some changes to our registration and library
card processes. All accounts must be renewed starting June 5, 2019. Please
see the FAQ section below for details.

*Thank you for your patience as we bring all of our resources into the new
system and make adjustments as needed. *

For more information, please visit our Contact Us page (
www.lva.virginia.gov/about/contact) and select a department or staff member
to reach by email.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

FOR PROCESSES/CHANGES FROM JUNE 5, 2019, OR LATER

1. I just renewed my library card, but now my account has expired! What
gives?

In order to increase security for Library card account holders' personal
information, we are changing the way we identify our patrons in the system.
Accordingly, all accounts must be renewed after the changeover to the new
catalog—*but not before the June 5 date*. The new system will require your
email address as your primary identifier. You will then enter a new
password of your choosing. This will allow us to communicate with you
directly through email regarding your account.

2. What if I don’t have an email address?

Get one! Our staff would be happy to help you set up a Gmail account or
another free email service. If you don’t have (or don't want) an email
address, you will need to visit the Library in person. The Circulation
staff will assign a barcode as your identifier in the system.

3. Can I update my information and renew online?

Virginia residents can renew online. When you first access your account in
the new system, you will be sent to a renewal page. In addition to your
email address and new password, you’ll be asked to provide your driver’s
license number in order to validate your resident status. (The Library will
use your driver’s license number only for validation and will not store it
in the system.)

4. I’m not a Virginia resident. Can I renew my card?

Unfortunately, online renewal is not available to non-Virginia residents.
As a courtesy, non-Virginia residents who have recently received a card at
the Library may send an email request that includes their full name and
library card barcode number to [log in to unmask] Within two to
three business days, we will extend your card to expire on June 4, 2020.
Otherwise, you can renew in-person at your next visit.

5. If I have a Library of Virginia library card, do I need to get a new one?

No. Once you renew, your existing library card should function as
previously.

6. How long will my account stay current (before needing renewal)?

Your account is good for one year before you will need to renew.

7. What about my physical card?

Don’t throw away your card! Even if your account has expired, we can link
your new account to your card. We should also be able to recover any
unspent money you've added to it for copies and place it in your new
account.

8. I still have questions! Whom can I contact?