VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2005

From:
Lindsey Bourne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsey Bourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:31:14 -0500
Many thanks to all of you who responded to my earlier request. Happily,
Rita Holtz of the Alexandria Library found both of the marriages in
Culpeper County, not Chesterfield as Ancestry.com had it.

This underscores the importance of trying to get back to original
sources whenever possible.  Online databases are a wonderful tool, but
they are only a tool, and (short of images of original documents) don't
substitute for the real thing.  And my thanks to Deb Koplen for sourcing
the information she posted on the web, because her footnote was a good
clue as to where I actually needed to look.

Lindsey Bourne