VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
Sharon Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:26:51 -0400
List members:  While researching the southwestern PA area, or Monongahela
Valley which consists of SW PA and what is now West VA, I found reference
to  a Petition for a New State.  A petition to the Continental Congress for
a new State to be known as "Westsylvania".  The original petition is in
existence in the Library of Congress, and lists names of pioneer settlers
in this region, Fayette, Washington and Greene Counties of PA and perhaps
Ohio and Monongalia Counties in Virginia.  There is no date on the
petition, but according to the author who is in possession of this photo
copied petition, there were 25,000 families settled in this area about 1768.
The document lists petitioners names, which include three ancestors I have
been looking for.  Of course, the document does give any clue as to the
relationship, brother, son, etc.,.  My question is can I use this document
as a source, or proof of the persons being in the area prior to 1781? Thank
Sharon Leonard
Albuquerque, NM