VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2016

Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2016 09:48:44 -0400
As I read through the pages of Orange County Order Books, from time to time
I saved images of records which I thought might be of value to others such
as this importation from Order Book 4, page 398:

"Joseph Walsh, John McKensey, Eleander Frazier and Margaret Dungan came into
Court and made Oath that they were Immediately Imported into this Colony and
also James Gaines came into Court and made Oath..the said Walsh and Gaines
from Ireland, the said McKensey, Frazier and Dungan from Scotland and that
this is the first time of Proving their Importation in order for Each of
them to Obtain a Right to fifty acres of Land which Rights the said Gaines,
McKensey, Frazier and Dungan in open Court assigned over to the said Joseph
Walsh which is ordered to be Certified."

One might ask why there were so few "importations" recorded in court orders
given that tens of thousands of Europeans immigrated to Virginia. As I
understand it, importations were only recorded when an individual came as a
free person and paid their own transportation costs. Then they were entitled
to 50 acres of land each. However, by one estimation, fully 75% of colonial
immigrants came to Virginia as indentured servants by which means the person
who paid their transportation was entitled to the 50 acres for each person
who was imported.

You may view an image of the microfilm here:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/X-Docs/Org_OB4_p398_25JUL1745.html

I hope this is useful to their descendants.

Best regards,,,

William Milam, MD
www.milaminvirginia.com