VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:56:50 -0600
> Paul:
> I am sorry if this is a stupid question, so please do not use my name.  I would like > to know why any ships from England would go way South and then turn west > to America.  Thank you for any answer.  Jennie _______.

Ms. Jennie, there ain't no dumb questions, only dumb answers.  Your question involves both trade and nature.
As to "nature"; Look at a map of the Atlantic Ocean.  All vessels were driven by wind (there was no other power except oars until the 19th century), and the so-called "Trade Winds" south from Britain were known to seamen 2 thousand plus years ago.  Those winds are and were a part of the great clockwise movement of the air winds that almost constantly flows across the North Atlantic from upper new England and Canada to Iceland and then south to Britain, then south past France, Portugal, Spain, and then to North and middle Africa.  The winds then swing west from the Canary Islands and thereabouts and next blow to the West Indies, including the Barbados being discussed.  From there the winds shift north and flow along the coasts of FL, GA, SC, NC, VA and on north to New England where once again they turn east and return to the place of beginning. All was perfect for sailing from Britain to the Americas and then north and back home.

As the ships traveled south to reach the Indies, it was not much further to the "Ivory Coast", and it and its neighbors there were quick to provide slaves for buyers, those beings welcomed as labor was ever more demanded by our planters, etc.  So, some shipped indentured servants and settlers and others hauled slaves and some did both.  Such shipping was very profitable and VERY frequent for the 200 years from 1600 to 1850.

Because it is a tad different, I have not mentioned the vast trade by which sugar was made into rum/brandy and used to bargain for goods being produced here and then salable in Britain.

C'mon, those of you who study colonial trade, and help her out.  :-)   Paul