VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
Laurie McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:58:18 -0500
Dear List,

Would someone kindly explain to me why the widow was able to contest the
following will.

In Amelia Co, will of William Foster, dated 8 Nov 1763, proved 27 Aug 1767
Leg: wife Ann Foster, use of Negroes Nan and Sarah for life or widowhood,
then to son Richard; also stock and household furniture for widowhood, then
2/3 to son William and 1/3 to son Thomas
Dau. Mary, use of woman Judy until sd. dau. Mary have an heir, then woman is
her property; if she have no heir, woman and increase go to son William.
Dau. Elizabeth
Son James, Negro man Brown
Son John, Negro man Charles
Son Booker, Negro boy Peter
Son William, 400 acres in Lunenburg Co whereon he is now settled
Son James 400 acres in Lunenburg Co on S/S tract given son Thomas, adj.
lands given William
Sons John, Booker and Richard, equal parts tract where I now live, with
Richard's part to include plantation and houses wherein I live.  Wife shall
have use of her choice of any tract and to work slaves given her on it.

Thanks very much.

Laurie McKenna