VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:31:26 -0800
Hurray for your courage, Barbara. .  I wish there were more researchers like you  amongst the "genealogists"  who seem to believe solid research is never required.
  At least you have the assurance that you are climbing the right family tree instead of embrassing unproven folk-lore.

  Joanne

Barbara in Idaho <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  I normally don't participate in these discussions but it has went on till I
feel I should. I will relate my experience.
In our family we had the family legend of a particular line being Indian
because one male was left on the doorstep and he was an Indian baby raised
by this particular family who was mixed.
Articles was written and presentations made all over with photos shown to
prove this male and thus his family was Indian. But no real records to prove
anything. Yes some photos had Indian resemblance but photos aren't always
what they appear. Then a Virginia tribe said based on the lady's research of
what she pulled together they would accept descendants of this man in as
members of their tribe.
After a while this all became too much for me for I couldn't prove one way
or the other- all I wanted was to know. So after the FGS Conference in Salt
Lake City last year I decided to go with FamilyTree DNA and have a DNA test
done on the man's great grandson. He consented- we went to Virginia
personally and did the swabs and mailed them in. We found there is no Native
American blood in the male line of this family.
I now know, I also have some relatives upset. The author of the papers
refuses to change anything or even give note for then she would lose her
grant. The Indian tribe does not accept the info for it means their numbers
would decrease and cause problems getting full recognition. I also have some
people refusing to accept the results. Others are mad that I did it. Then
there are those who are glad.
As for me I now can eliminate this area to include in searching this out. It
didn't matter to me if it was Indian or White or mix- I just wanted to know
to try to sort and see where I went next. Again looks can be deceiving and
thus records based on looks can also be deceiving.
I am happy I did it and it was well worth the money and time for me. The
gentleman whom we used is elderly and he is happy to know the truth and I am
happy he consented for he was the only direct line male left that I could
have used. Barbara in Idaho