VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:40:45 EDT
In a message dated 8/22/2005 8:33:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The grants from the colonial government were called patents. The grants
> from the commonwealth (after July 1776) were called grants

This was a point of confusion for me in the emails over the weekend.  It was
suggested that in colonial times there was a difference between patents and
grants, they being two separate events on separate dates.   But do I understand
correctly you are saying that during the colonial government patent and grant
referred to the same event/document?

Thanks, Janet Hunter