VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:41:52 -0400
I have several documents in which the words "next friend" or "friend" are used and I admit when I first began doing genealogy research those two words threw me off as well.

Next friend definitely means next close relative; think of "kin" when you see the word friend or "Next close kin" for next friend.  It seems a strange use of the word friend to us today.

Sometimes the "next friend" is a parent.  In the Brown Will, anyone mentioned as Friend" is kin...a relative, it is a broad description and does not specify the exact relationship ie. father, brother, uncle, cousin.  That will have to be determined with further research or by research already gathered.

Hope this has helped.

Michelle Pendleton