VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:33:41 -0700
Thomas C. Howle said:

> Below is the last will and testament of Epaphroditus Drake and additional
> information about his wife and children. Who were his parents? Was his
> father William Drake of New Kent County, Virginia? Does anyone know if
> there is a family relationship between Epaphroditus Drake and Epaphroditus
> Howle who died about 1804 in New Kent County, VA? Epaphroditus Howle's
> daughter, Nancy Howle, born 1861 in New Kent County, is thought to have
> married a Drake and may have had a son named Tarleton Drake. Thanks in
> advance for any responses. Tom Howle.

I don't have any information about the Drakes, but all the Epaphrodituses
I've ever seen have descended from the immigrant Epaphroditus Lawson (d
1652 in Lancaster Co, VA).

You might be able to trace him through some of the other families
descended from the Lawsons. See _Cavaliers and Pioneers_ and W&MCQ, ser.
2, vol. 13, no. 4 (Oct 1933). You might find a clue in Sydnor Thompson
Jr., _The Sydnor Family Saga_ (Charlotte, NC: Monarch Printers), as there
were several Epaphroditus Sydnors.

Do your Howles include a Rachel Howle (b ca 1821, KY) who m. Terry Tarrant
(b ca 1821, Warren Co, KY)? I haven't found her parents. I'm also trying
to identify Nancy Drake who m. Henry Rains Lee (b 16 Mar 1810 Hawkins Co,
TN; d  2 Jan 1895, AL).

Kathleen Much