VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 13:09:49 EST
    We amateur genealogists use deed books constantly and pre-, post- and
Colonial era deeds have a section in which a wife is examined "apart from her
husband" and gives her assent to the sale of land. I realize that she is
giving up her dower rights or whatever.
    Can anyone tell me approximate date when this began and also the
approximate date that it ceased? Also is there a proper term for it or is
it"relinquishment of dower right" or what? William M. McCarty, MD