VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2010

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:06:58 -0600
My two cents worth...  I've learned the hard way that there are really
very few absolutes and fixed rules in genealogy; just about everything
comes down to possibility and probability and the proper
interpretation and assessment of those possibilities and
probabilities....

It certainly was not impossible for a woman of 50 to give birth, but I
think it would have been highly improbable (and much more improbable
in 1817 than it is today).  So if I were faced with such an issue, I
think I would be aggressively looking for other possibilities (with
higher probabilities).  For example:
a.  Was it possible that the birth mother was, in fact, younger than
your assumption?
b.  Are there any other possibilities in your sociological/familial
mixture that would yield better probabilities as an explanation?

And I've learned that more frequently than we want to admit, we run
into these kinds of issues, and just have to let it go by explaining
the dilemma.

Lou Poole