VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 15:51:40 -0400
Hello Melissa,

I would recommend to them to really think about what is they want to do....

Do they want to be a one stop place for county/city's historical heritage?

Do they want to do museum type displays?

What is their audience?  Do they want materials from around the area or genealogy books from Texas or California?

What is their closest competitor?  Are there any libraries near by that have the same amount of matter, more or less?   Sometimes it is good to focus on a certain area and sometimes it is good to focus on a wide area.  Play up your strengths and fill a niche!

They need to consider the "other" stuff that tends to come to Local History/Genealogy collections.  I mean the artifacts like bottles, ribbons, pieces of buildings, furniture, etc etc...

Do they want media containers: VHS tapes, 35mm film reels, microfilm reels, or CDs (digital files)?

One thing they really need to put in their policy is a section on discarding unwanted items or duplicate copies.  It helps the staff person tell the donor that there is a chance their stuff may be discarded or sold off.

Here is a link to our collection policy:

http://www.npl.lib.va.us/policies/pol_collection99_app3.html

I hope this helps....

Sincerely,

W. Troy Valos
Sargeant Memorial Collection - Norfolk Main Library
235 East Plume Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Main: (757) 664 - 7485
Office: (757) 664 - 7323 ext: 43737
Fax: (757) 664 - 7319
http://www.npl.lib.va.us/smrt/smr_home.html

"People need to think. They need something to think about, to stir the imagination. Books, more than anything else, supply these needs." - Mary Denson Pretlow