VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:15:21 +0000
Madaline,

I read your query with interest, and got sidetracked before I could send a reply.  I have run across "wagon tents" before in my inventory research, and I am pretty certain that the appraiser was refering to a wagon cover - I need to find the historic reference that supports that interpretation - I cannot remember if it is a period newspaper add or a later 19th century catalogue.  Another thing I have learned in looking at thousands of inventories is that while appraisers were pretty sparing in the amount they wrote, they tried to be as descriptive as possible - in one inventory from the 1870s, for example, I found several wagon-related items listed together which inluded "wagon sheets" and a "waggoners whip."

John