VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:46:44 EST
Hello Everyone,

I want to thank everyone for setting me straight on the age required for a
patent, etc. issue.  Basically, from the point of conception is the answer.
I've received numerous responses, including one (Andrew Moorman) where his
father's will had his executors obtain a patent for the child his wife was
carrying if that child was a boy (sigh).

No one has answered my question about whether there was some accepted or
required age for a child to be baptised in the parish church. I understand no one
wants to give any categorical answer, but in genealogy we all must make some
educated judgements.  So, for all of you with much more experience than I,
pretend this is a set of your ancestors' family.  How would you answer this
question for your own research purposes:  Approximately how old were these three
children of Daniel and Anne Bentley of North Farnham Parish when they were
baptised:

No Farnham Parish Records,  ANN, daughter of DANIEL and ANN Bentley, 2
November 1717.

No. Farnham Parish Records. SAMUEL, son of DANIEL and ANN,  30 December 1719,

No. Farnham Parish Records.  WILLIAM son of Daniel and Ann Bentley. 13 March
1720  (1721)

As always, thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter