VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:39:58 -0500
My family lived in an area in southern Illinois where everything got put in
the paper...A cousin of my Grandfather King said her Grandmother had
unburdened herself at her death, letting her family know her first born was
the result of a rape. We all said "Oh sure" wink, wink.  Well folks, in the
local paper of 1879, an article said, Julia King had filed bastardry charges
against I.J. Pitt.  The paper commented : "And the young man went west to
grow up with his country!".  In researching this incident, it turned out I.
J. Pitt was 48 years old and married to Julia's mother's sister.  Julia was
16 years old and was the orphaned child of Lucinda and James King and was
living with her aunt when the rape occurred.  The bastardry charge was the
only way she could charge him with anything...and of course society didn't
much value women back then so the newspaper thought it appropriate to make a
joke about the tragedy.  To this day, the descendants of this ill-conceived
child will not correspond with me about their family line because of her
humiliating beginnings.  History is sometimes not pleasant and sometimes the
wounds or sins  last unto the children and the grandchildren.  I still
remember how indignant I felt and how I cried for Julia 115 years after the
fact.  I still tear up thinking of what she must have endured until a
wonderful man married her and concealed her secret.  She had many children
who grew up to be well respected.