VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2012

From:
"Tarter, Brent (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:04:19 -0400
Restoring some civil rights to former Confederates went through several
stages. In the spring and early summer of 1865 people had to apply for a
presidential pardon if they had taken an active part in the Confederacy
or if they were worth $20,000 or more. The applications from Virginia
are in Virginia Case Files for United States Pardons (1865-1867), United
States Office of the Adjutant General, Record Group 94, National
Archives and Records Administration. The Library of Virginia has
microfilm of the Virginia applications catalogued as Miscellaneous
Microfilm Reels 3927-3942. The series is arranged alphabetically.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Please visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at
http://www.lva.virginia.gov