VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Priestley Toulmin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:36:29 -0400
A subtle source of error in correlating GPS coordinates with maps,
especially USGS topo sheets, is the "Map Datum" used.  Many (most?) USGS
maps use the 1927 North America datum, which is not the current one used by
default in my Garmin GPS III and probably many others.  I found that
discrepancies of similar magnitude between my GPS readings and even late
editions of USGS sheets vanished when I switched datums (readily done
through the set-up menu on the GPS).

P. Toulmin