VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
KAREN DALE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 08:49:19 -0700
I spend 9/10 of my time disproving other people's claims. I've got 8 DNA matches in my Mason line out of VA--and two of these have attached to the wrong fathers (and that wrong info spread all over the web). One was so easily disproved it was laughable. A lot of this gets started because some early researcher published his version--which was largely based on either oral family history (notoriously inaccurate) or location.  In the case of VA Masons, there are often two or three different Mason families in one county--even in the 1600s.  But early on, they all got lumped together.

Then there are the genealogies that are based on old and bogus DAR files....

And I've spent ten years trying to undo the damage done by TWO early Moon histories (190/30) that everyone took as gospel. All those two "researchers" did was talk to people--and record their faulty memories of the earliest generations--no one knew--everyone had an opinion!  Now it's "gospel."

Karen Dale