VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
Janice Katherine Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Katherine Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 17:47:48 -0700
I, too, would like to hear from anyone researching the TODD name.

I have a Mary TODD marrying a James HUTTON.  Their daughter, Mary Todd
HUTTON married Capt. John McMURTRY about 1770.  She was born in Rockbridge,
VA.

I descend from their son, James McMURTRY who married 1st) Polly McKEE 19
February 1795 and 2nd) Elizabeth LUCAS 08 April 1800 in Mercer County,
Kentucky.  Elizabeth LUCAS had been married 1st) to Lawrence JEWELL.

Here is what I copied from some old McMURTRY paperwork/genealogy done in
early 1900's:

According to "old" paperwork on the McMurtry's and allied families.....

James Todd, Laird of Dunbar, Scotland, drowned in 1679 at Battle of Bothwell
Bridge.

John (2) Laird of Dunbar, d. 1717 in County Armagh, Ireland, buried in
Tyron(e) church yard near Dungaree.  His children Robert, Samuel, James and
William all came to America in 1735.

Robert Todd, b. in Ireland in 1697 d. in Montgomery County, PA in 1775, m.
(1st) Ann Smith.  They were the immigrant ancestors of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln.

Samuel Todd, b. in Ireland, d. ca 1750 Augusta County, VA, had a daughter
Sarah b. in 1727 who married John Houston.

William Todd, b. in Ireland, lived in Rockbridge County, VA.

     1.  Lydia, baptised 1736
     2.  Mary Todd m. James Hutton
          a.  Mary Todd Hutton m. Captain John McMurtry

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information but it is "interesting"
and the ladies that did this work were very thorough.

The McMURTRY's left Kentucky and migrated to Crawford and Harrison Counties
in Indiana before settling in early 1830's in Knox County, Illinois.

My 3rd Great Grandfather, William McMURTRY was Lieutenant Governor of
Illinois about 1848 and was a Captain in the Black Hawk wars.

Anybody out there descended from any of these people?

Thanks, Jan Lund