VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:33:33 EST
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for SHORT, in particular, researchers, particularly those from
the branch that began in Surry Co., VA in the 1600s, and is in
Brunswick/Mecklenburg Co. in the 1700s.   This is also of interest to BAUGH
and ROB*SON researchers.

I am encountering the family of William Short, who died 1769 in Brunswick
Co., VA in the course of trying to find the Robertson ancestry of my 4g
grandmother Priscilla who married Sugar Faulkner/Fortner in 1785 in Warren
Co. NC (Sugar's Faulkner family was from Talbot/Queene Anne Co MD).

Sugar Faulkner was at the estate sale of a Nicholas Robertson/Robinson in
1794 in Granville Co., NC, and it is believed that this Nicholas' wife was
named Tabitha.  I have found through Brunswick Co. chancery court records in
the 1780s that I obtained of John Robertson/wife Elizabeth & Nicholas
Robinson/wife Tabitha vs. Executors of Wm Short (god bless LVA's online
index), that Tabitha was one of the unnamed daughters in William Short's
will.  The other children named in the chancery case were William who married
Sarah (Short researchers say she is a  BAUGH), Jacob who married a FREEMAN,
Alice who married Charles ABERNATHY, and Elizabeth who married John ROBERTSON.

I have looked at the information in Penelope Short Lynch's book on the Short
family.  She also has a Thomas Short married to a Mary BAUGH in Brunswick
Co., at this time.  This Thomas she does not have attached to the earlier
Shorts (that I could see).

I have not received any responses to my posts on the Short list or at Short
genforum (except from an Abernathy researcher who was very pleased that
Charles' wife was named Alice in the Chancery Court record -- something they
had only concluded by educated guess before as none of the daughters are
identified in the will.

Being as how my maiden name is BAUGH (these particular Robertsons are my
mother's), I searched my Baugh information and came up with no Baugh/Short
information.

I have a number of questions about the Short information.  William Short, d.
1769's wife Sarah is identified by SHORT (not Robertson) researchers to be
Sarah Short in the will of John Robertson's will in 1773 in Granville Co. NC.
 This Sarah has brothers Nicholas, b. about 1720 and John.  I believe the
above Nicholas is the son of John with the 1773 will in Granville, which
would make the marriage of said Nicholas to his supposed niece Tabitha
illegal.   Therefore, I believe the Sarah's are confused, etc.

I also am curious if any of my fellow Baugh researchers have knowledge of
these Short connections.     I have been in touch with Robertson researchers
and they are intrigued by this new information on these two Robertson wives
surnames.  I have more information on these Robertsons if anyone is
interested.  They represent one of the groups of Robertson/Robinsons found in
the Bristol Parish Register, 1720/30s.  (On my father's side I also connect
with another group -- Christopher & Sarah to Amelia Co).  FYI, for those of
you with the Bristol Parish or other early Prince George Records.  Sarah and
this Nicholas Robertson (I believe) are the children of John and Mary.
John's brother is Israel who has several children named there in, including
another Nicholas, b. 1731, who I don't think is the Nicholas in the chancery
suit because he has a son of age in 1768 it appears.  Both brothers John &
Israel are named in the 1719 Prince George Co. will of Matthew Marks as
grandsons.   This is the family of Charles Robertson of the Watauga
Settlement, Washington Co., TN, and General James Robertson (Israel), who
with John Donelson led the early settlers to the Nashville TN area in 1779.

This is all new to me (within the last week).  On the Granville Co end I hope
to be able to go and look at two files in loose estate records for Nicholas
Robertson/Robinson 1794 estate at the NC State archives soon (two files
because one is under Robertson and the other Robinson).  If anyone is
interested on that front, see my post at genforum:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/robertson/messages/5802.html

AND, this is just another example of the importance of Chancery Court
records.  If indeed Nicholas Robertson and Tabitha do turn out to be the
parents, or more likely grandparents, of my Priscilla Robertson then I am a
couple of steps ahead of the game.

All thoughts welcome,

Best Regards, Janet Hunter