VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:21:47 EST
Fellow Virginia Researchers.

Below is my transcription of the will of my 5g grandfather Samuel Bentley,
who died bef April 23, 1795 in Amelia Co.  His parents are unknown, though I
am looking forward to some one documenting them for me <smile>.

Surnames in this post are.   ANDERSON, ARCHER, BENTLEY, BOOKER, BROADNAX,
COBBS, CRENSHAW, EFFORD, EGGLESTON, FLEMING, GAY, HARRIS, HUTCHERSON,
SAUNDERS, TOWNES, TRENT, WELDON, WINSTON

Note --  Three children of Samuel BENTLEY and wife Mary, d. June 12, 1780 are
not mentioned in the will.  Mary is thought to be a WELDON, a granddaughter
of Samuel Weldon and Sarah EFFORD, daughter of Peter Efford.

Children NOT mentioned are --

(a)  John, d. 1770, m. Judith COBBS (I have his will, but haven’t transcribed
it) Judith m. 2 , on April 17 1776 Joseph EGGLESTON in Amelia Co.  I don’t
know which Cobbs family is hers.

(b)  Samuel, Jr. given land 1781, wife ???; living in Halifax Co.I believe?;

(c)  Sarah, had illegitimate children, given 12 acres by father, other items,
finally proven 1792.

Children who are mentioned in the will , in order of bequests -

(a)  William Weldon Bentley m. Judith ARCHER 14 May 1782 in Amelia County VA;
 Judith was the daughter of ???????????;

(b)  Peter Efford Bentley m. 1 Martha MARKHAM, daughter of Bernard Markham
and Mary HARRIS 1782 in Chesterfield County, Virginia  and 2 aft. 1791,
Elizabeth GAY, daughter of William Gay & Francis TRENT;

(c)  Elizabeth "Kitty" m. an ANDERSON, an unknown son of a Francis it seems ??

(d)  Rebeca m. a WINSTON, maybe a William Winston as there is later in Amelia
an estate for a Wm Winston, that William & Efford are involved in;

(e)  Mary m. Edward BOOKER, September 1761 in Amelia Co.  He is the son of
Edward Booker and Anne COBBS;

(f)  Rachel m. Rev. John Hyde SAUNDERS, Jr. of Powhatan Co, May 14 1775  in
Amelia Co, son of John Hyde Saunders, Sr. and maybe ??? unk. FLEMING??
Supposedly the Fleming wife is "in the deeds" somewhere.  Note that
descendants of John Hyde Saunders Sr use TARLETON and Fleming as given names.
 John Hyde Sr.'s will 1768 in Cumberland was witnessed by Wm Fleming.  This
is my line.  And it seems that my daughter Rachel was the only child not
"already given" anything.

Also mentioned is Samuel’s sister Sarah who married an unk. BROADNAX..

In 1790, Samuel was living with son Efford according Amelia tax records –
1791 PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX
Efford Bentley (2 tithables, Efford and Samuel) 8 black slaves over 16, 1
black slave under 16, 6 horses,  2 wheel chair
William Bentley, 6 black slaves over 16, 1 black slave under 16, 7 horses (no
wheels)
Source -- http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/vataxlists/

The above is the best I have available, but I have not verified all of it and
welcome any and all suggestions and additions.  Sorting the Amelia and
Halifax Bentley records suggest that either there were two brothers heading
different branches.

I am particularly interested in figuring out the marriage of Samuel Jr. and
which Archer, Cobbs, Winston and Anderson families the above spouses belong
with.

My best regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter

Will, Samuel Bentley, Amelia County, 1795, Will Book 5, p. 169

Transcribed by Janet Hunter for use freely  without restriction. All
questions to [log in to unmask]

Court April 23, 1795

In the name of God Amen. I Samuel Bentley of Amelia County being of sound and
disposing memory do make and ordain this my last will & Testament in manner
and form following.

vizt. Imprimis. I give and bequeath unto my son William Bently in addition to
what has been already given the following negroes. Davy, Abner, Jim and Milly
with all future increase from said negroe Milly to him and his heirs forever.

I likewise give to my said son William after her death...my Sister Sarah
Brodnax a negroe woman named Judy to him and his heirs forever.

Item. I give & bequeath to my son Efford Bently in addition to what has been
already given the three following negroe men. Bob, Joe and Caesar and after
the death of my sister Sarah Brodnax; I give to my said son Efford a negroe
woman named Matilda and her three children all of which with their future
increase. I give to him and his heirs forever

Item. I give and bequeath to my Grandson Samuel Anderson (son of Elizabeth
Anderson) a negroe boy named Billey and a negroe girl named Suckey with her
increase to him and his heirs forever. but should my said Grandson Samuel die
under age or without lawful issue in that case it is my will and desire that
the said negroes Billey and Suckey with her increase to be Equally divided
between my four daughters Rebeca, Mary, Rachel & Kitty for them and their
heirs forever'

Item. I give and bequeath to my Daughter Rebeca Winston in addition to what
she has been already given one negroe woman Lucinda during her natural life
and at her death it is ......my desire that the said Lucinda with her future
increase & be equally divided between the Children of said Rebecca Winston.

Item. & give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary Booker in addition to what
has been already given One negroe woman named Phillis to her and her heirs
forever.

Item. I give and bequeath to my daughter Rachel Saunders during her natural
life the following negroes named Jack, Norbonne ??, Alley, Letty and Letty's
children and at her death it is my will and desire that the said negroes with
all there increase be equally divided between the Children of the said Rachel
Saunders for them and their heirs forever but should either of the said
children die under age or without lawful issue it is my will and desire that
the surviving Children shall share the negroes equally for them and their
heirs forever.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Kitty Anderson the following negroes
in addition to what has been already given vizt. Tamer ?? and her three
children Hannah?, & Pleasant and Lott with their future increase to her and
her heirs forever.

Item. I give and bequeath to my son Efford the tract of land whereon I live
in Amelia for him for him [sic] and his heirs forever.

Item. I give and bequeath to my sons William and Efford all my stock of any
kind to be Equally divided between them, and it is moreover my will that
between my said sons William and Efford May make up and pay to each of my
daughters the sum of pounds as an equivalent for the Stock.

Lastly I appoint my Sons William and Efford Executors of this my last will
and Testament revoking all others heretofor made.

?? Witness whereover have hereunto subscribed my name this 12th day of July
1784.

Signed and Acknowledged                     Samuel Bentley
in presence of us

Anthony Crenshaw
John Hutcherson
W. Bentley

At Court held for Amelia County the 23 day of April 1795

The last will and Testament of Samuel Bentley dec.d was exhibited unto Court
and proved by the oaths of Anthony Crenshaw and John Hutcherson two of the
witnesses thereto sworn to by Efford Bentley one of the Executors therein
named and ordered to be Recorded. And on the motion of the said Executor who
together with William Bentley his security entered into and acknowledged bond
in the penalty of 2000 dollars as the law directs. Certificate is granted him
for allowing probate in due form/    James Townes, clerk