VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
"Cynthia B. Gooch" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia B. Gooch
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:04:07 -0400
I recently discovered a woman whose grandmother was my great-
grandmother - by an ancestry.com search.  I can only imagine how excited my
own grandmother would be to know that we made contact with each other.
My grandmother was an amateur genealogist as well.

I uploaded my Family Tree Maker basic information into the Ancestry.com
World Tree because it had helped me to make this connection.  I am now
exchanging old photos and new information that I would never have obtained
otherwise.  It has really been fun.

Regarding the disinformation or misinformation found online in sites like that, I
understand the risk I am taking when using the site.  However, I have kept my
Family Tree Maker site separate, in order to avoid having others make changes
to my history or otherwise misuse it.  My FTM program is my default.

Question to experienced researchers:  Is it foolish or ill-advised of me to use
information I find online as "tentatively my tree" until I can verify it with
original documents or whatever will suffice to verify it?  Is there something
wrong with this idea?

Cynthia Gooch - Phoenix, AZ