VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Kathryn Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:58:07 -0500
 I believe I was the first to blast Mr Barger on the List; I thought it was a book promotion.  I stayed quiet and read EVERY email sent to the List after that.  It suddenly occurred to me that I had overlooked what really was the message and I think all of us need to just read and digest.  This has been a 30 year old debate and deserves your attention if for no other reason than to understand some oddities coming our way in the rewriting of history.  You may be in agreement with the rewriting but you should consider that others have differing views, views that are backed up with documentation and are worth airing.  I was ever so grateful for Brent's remarks that he had not seen anything that was not appropriate to the List.

Below is the apology I wrote Mr Barger earlier today and was about to forward to the List after reading today's List email, when Mr Barger wrote me privately asking that I consider such.

I graduated Virginia Commonwealth University in 1974 with a BA in American History, Political Science and Geography (a rough triple major) under the mentorship of Dr Daniel P Jordan.  I then left Richmond for Washington DC where I did my graduate work at Georgetown University.  I have a life long passion for genealogy.  I currently spend my lunch hours at the DAR Library and am looking forward to my youngest going off to college so I can spend my weekends at LOC, NARA and the VERY closeby LDS Family history room.  I have added this only to say that I know research.

Please consider my apology below to all of you.  But most importantly remember that one day you too will suddenly have a light bulb go off in your brain that something very peculiar happened in this particular 30 year period, I think it's called political correctness.  And it has no place in genealogical research.