VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2011

From:
John G Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:01:54 -0500
The original colonies' land surveys were based on the English system
of metes and bounds. The new nation established the Rectangular Land
Survey System for public lands west of the original colonies, to
guide their orderly disposal through sale. The survey, also called
Public Lands Survey System, began at Stuebenville OH in 1785 and,
with some partial exceptions, applied to all westerly lands except
Texas. The Wikipedia article is a good summary of the nature and
historical importance of public lands survey. It's really more
interesting than you might think! :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System#Non-PLSS_regions

--John