VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 05:20:43 -0700
I agree with Barger and McDonald, I'll say that upfront. I am not sure it is, though, so much a concerted effort to promote a speculation as it is a lazy historical approach, a slap on the back sort of wink and nod to make assumptions, those we so dislike in our every day life and in the uncomfortable good-ole-boy scenes in movies.

I winced when the first posting showed up about the new book, a book that BEGINS with the working premise of error.  Years ago, and to this day, I was and am stunned that Dr Jordan took the PC route with the Foundation's proclamation that went beyond the yes, it is a Jefferson gene (but not which male-specific), and on to, no, it doesn't matter if the living descendants don't want to step forward and help finalize the results, but, alright, Sally did look like her half-sister, and yes, Jefferson was an old man, soooo let's just give it to them, ok?  Remember that that blazing star of an historian, Oprah Winfrey, was smack in the middle of the "final decision".

All that said, I really don't think attacks on people brings us forward at all, Mr Alexander.  I really don't.  I agree with Shelley on this.

BUT, as to what this List is about - I really thought it was an online help to introduce us to the Library of Virginia online (which is diminishing) and to get some of us over the brick wall of family lines, by directing us to web sites previously unknown, by exchanging primary source research efforts and by sharing info we have at hand in similar lines.

There is another List that does Va History, which is where the discussion of Thomas Jefferson resides ... and then there is the History Channel for speculation.

Katie Holland
born in Virginia
but now in
Metro Washington, DC