VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2017

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:24:21 -0500
Thanks for your reply.

Was Mack a free black?  If so, how and why?
If not, to whom did he "belong?"
How was he able to own real estate in 1870 valued at $150.... 5 years after
emancipation... feeding 5 children with birth dates ranging from 1853 -
1863.
Why did Mack settle on the western slope of the Blue Ridge  just across the
ridge from Horace Brown, Maranda's owner?

Look forward to ANY help.
M. Preston