VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Charlie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 10:01:14 -0400
Once while searching for information on
my Duplin Co NC ancestors, I was digging
through court  there and
ran across an 1863 order from the County
Commissioners for 3 wagons to proceed
to Saltville to buy salt. Saltville VA was the
only place by that name I could find. If that's
where these wagons were headed, that had to
take at least  3 months, a nearly 800 miles
round trip. Too bad the people of Duplin didn't
heed the Lewis & Clark expedition experience
and desalinate sea water which was only 30 or
so miles away.
Charlie