VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
Carolyn H Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 15:53:05 -0400
> John D. Metz
> Director of Archives, Records, and Collection Services
> The Library of Virginia
Dear Mr. Metz,
I saw the answer to you sent to another researcher's military question,
and wondered if you might have the time to help me with two military
quandaries I have:

1. My 2great-grandfather, Alexander Jennings THOMPSON was born in
Franklin Co, VA, 23 Nov 1832, enlisted in the Confederate Army 29 May
1861, Wytheville, VA, by Col. H. Heth, (according to NARA records) was
wounded 19 Sept 1864 at the Battle of the Opequon, and died _25_ Sept
1864 of his wounds. I have queried the Winchester-Frederick Historical
Society and others, and though he died in a U.S. Army Field Hospital,
there is apparently no record of where he was buried. I know many/most
Confederates were buried in "trench graves", but shouldn't they have a
record of some kind? Your comment to the query referenced earlier about
a burial at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery reminded me of "my"
Alex THOMPSON, because an "Alexander THOMPSON" is buried there who died
on _26_ Sept 1864, but is listed as a "non-military civilian". It is my
understanding that some soldiers from the eastern battles were buried in
Jefferson Barracks. How would one go about investigating whether or not
my suspicion is valid?

2. My second question is not so convoluted: my first cousin, Charles
Lewis HALE, Jr., born in 1913 in Roanoke, VA, served in WWII as a bomber
pilot and was on terminal leave from the USAAF when in April of 1946, he
took off from Borges Airfield in Yolo Co, CA, and crashed back into a
hangar, which subsequently burned. Does the state of Virginia's military
archives hold any records of his service in the war? At the time of his
death, his second wife was pregnant with their only child, a son, who
was born the following October. I'd like to give him more info on his
dad's war experience. To my knowledge he was a Captain at war's end, had
been previously married and had a daughter named Sue Ann, aged about 13
when he died.

Any information you can provide in either instance would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely

Carolyn HALE BRUCE
Virginia Beach, VA