VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2011

Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:41:25 EST
Go to any court or law firm and ask for any reputable handwriting  expert.
The police might be able to help with that.

Robert Shotzberger

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
> When  confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it  to the question,  "How would the Lone Ranger have handled
this?" -  Unknown

> Greetings, All........
>
> I have a very  ugly bible record composed of 4 pages that can be seen
here.......
>  http://hatcherfamilyassn.com/getperson.php?personID=I41975&tree=WmTheIm
 Click the pages for a larger view.

> There's no question a  number of people made entries and not always gr
ouped neatly together. My  problem is that earlier researchers have attempted
to identify the writer of  each entry in order to connect them into the
family tree. My suspicion is that  there have been some errors in this process
and that a few people have been  wrongly attached to the wrong family.

> Sooooo! I'm wondering if  it would be helpful to have a professional
handwriting analyst study those  pages to sort out who wrote what. And it would
seem I would need someone who  is skilled in analyzing old style handwriting.

> Has anyone ever  done this or have knowledge of reputable analysts? If
so, can you recommend a  good analyst and provide a rough estimate of cost per
hour?

>  Thanks for any guidance!
>
> Nel Hatcher
>

>  To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions  at
>  http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html

Nel,

I'm not  sure what a expert could tell you.   You might get some clues of
timing from the changes in the writing styles    There appear to  be a
minimum of three different people who recorded information and  possibly
more

You appear to have a Bible that was originally owned by  someone who
received it as an adult and put in  information relating  to their Father
and from the birth dates what appear to be his  siblings-

The left column on page 1 was not written at the  time of each birth.
It looks to be the same hand at the same time,  probably when they
received the Bible.  Plus you have the notation of  the three infants who
died.

Then you have additions that may  have been recorded by someone at the
time of the birth.   These  seem to be where they are for reasons of
available space.

It  then appears that another person recorded another family (with
birth dates  in the 1830s)  in the right column were copied from another
source  into the Bible -same hand same time - including a copying error
which they  corrected.

second birth page is not as clear as to whether the births  were recorded
at the time of birth or later if the Bible changed  hands.

Marriage page -

Again the original owner started with  their father-  Although the
weddings may be recorded as they   occurred rather than being recorded at
one time.

If I was in  your place.  I would first connect all of the information
you have on  each person whose birth is recorded.  Do you have deaths and
marriages for everyone whose birth is there?    Do you know what
happened to the people you don't have full information for.    Did they
move or did the owner of the Bible leave the area?

Then I  would try to verify information using wills, deeds and census-

you may be able to verify the family in the right hand column on Birth
page one with the 1850 census.

The third and final thing to think  about is did the original researchers
have any additional motive in the  assumed lineages.   For example has
someone used the Bible for  proof of parentage on an application for SAR
or DAR?  It may be to  their advantage to be descended from x who is an
established ancestor so  they read the Bible that way even though it is
not clear or could be  looked at a different way.

Good Luck with your  search,

Marilyn Jackson