VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 23:52:38 +0000
How about a trip to the mountains?

My brick wall is my gggg-grandfather Francis Wire/Weir/Wier, who
died in Augusta Co. in 1779, in the Tygart River Valley (now Ran-
dolph Co., WV).  He left a widow named Hannah and four sons,
Solomon, John, Daniel and Benjamin, all named in his will.  No one
has any idea where Francis came from or how he is connected, if
at all, to the numerous others of this highly variable name in the
same area.> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 17:46:34 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Brick Wall--BOYER> To: [log in to unmask]> > My personal brick wall is finding some verification of what I believe to> be a link:> > Nannie (Annie) Gore (b. 5/4/1836 Fredericksburg, VA, d. 1895 Alexandria,> VA) married a William Boyer who reportedly died during the Civil War.> From family history, his name is on the Civil War Monument in Old Town> Alexandria. After tracing the civil war career of the William Boyer> listed on the monument, it appears that based on when he was in battle,> wounded, and in prisoner-of-war camps, that he likely could have> fathered Nannie's two children, Nelly Lee Boyer (my great-grandmother,> b. 1/2/1862) and Charles W. Boyer (b. 2/1865). There is a birth record> for Nelly Lee that lists her father as William Boyer of Caroline County> (Fredericksburg) and an occupation of pump-maker, which was Nannie's> father's occupation. William Boyer of Alexandria lists himself as> "Gentleman at Large" at enlistment into the 17th Reg. VA Infantry> implying that he was a single man.> > I can find no marriage record for Nannie Gore and a William Boyer either> in Alexandria or Fredericksburg.> > > > > To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions at> http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html