VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Chuck West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:42:02 -0600
My 5th great grandfather, (First name unknown) LUMPKIN, was born in Halifax Co., VA, was married (a French gentleman's daughter) in Tennesee and then, ca. 1835, moved to Indiana with (according to family records) Uncle William LUMPKIN, Uncle Thomas BOOKOUT and Uncle Anderson LUMPKIN, after selling their property--including slaves. My 5th ggrandfather's daughter, (First name unknown) LUMPKIN, married first in 1819 a Thomas HOWARD in Tennessee, and later in Indiana to James MASSEY. Her children by HOWARD took the surname HAYWORTH when the moved to Indiana, and it is through them that I am related to the LUMPKINs, for whom I have just recited ALL my known information.

However, in today's Los Angeles Times is a story about the uncovering of the old LUMPKIN Slave Jail in Richmond, VA, and I'm wondering if there is a connection, however remote it might be. Quoting the Times article, "When Robert LUMPKIN (owner of the jail) died, he left his jail to his widow--Mary LUMPKIN, a black woman and former slave. In 1867, she gave the property to a minister who established a school for freed slaves. Over the years, the school evolved into what is now Virginia Union University, a historically black college.

Anybody know anything? Your responses and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Chuck West in Indiana