VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Frances Allred <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:27:48 EDT
I do have some professional expertise in the history of the  Federal
Government's Indian relations, and in the development  and
implementation of Federal agency tribal relations policy  and
procedures. In the past I did look into the smallpox issue to see  if
there was anything to it. I suspected that it was an example of what
we  now call "urban legends" -- a seemingly plausible tale that might
not endure  closer examination

I am a memeber of the Alabama Cherokee Echota Tribe. I regret that I took
the words of friends rather than to look up the information for myself.
With all of the abuse that was done to the Indians I didn't doubt that it
was done. I still believe that it was done. I think it is a matter of who
passed the blankets to them.
Anyone who could take their land and send them on a trail to die could give
infected blanket's.
I think the National Geographic study is going to prove that the Indians  are
Asian.
They weren't like like our english, german, and french forefathers so,  they
were referred to as, savages. They were very helpful to the early Americans
and I don't think they would have made it without their help.
The reason that I brought the issue up about the Indians was because I
thought it was Jefferson who sent them on the "Trail of Tears". and sent the
blankets to them but it was Jackson .
Thank God for freedom of speech and for those here allowing me to have my
say. I don't claim to be a professional. I do enjoy history. I have followed
this list for a long time because of my family root's in Va.  Frances