VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Quan Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Quan Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:06:17 -0500
I started over 20 years ago search family lines when you couldn't find anythin on the internet.  I don't think that the interest is fading I think that it is evolving again.  Genealogy went from history to commerical and as more researchers are finding that the commerical aspects are not always faithful it is changing back.

The die hards are still and will always enjoy the hunt the excitement of finding that one record at a courthouses or archives will always be around.  I still think of myself as a novice who is learning something each day and also a die hard that loves the hunt.

As a African American researcher I have to search two family trees.  I know how important it is to have those sources listed and copies of the orginal document.  Double work, double time researching and a lot of miles on the car.  I have seen, read and heard a lot.  Yes I have also had family members take my work, explain how much time it took and claim it as there own.

Proablly the most interesting person that I have helped find the sources she was looking for demand that the public record was wrong and she would have her lawyer change everything.

Some researhers really don't mind the skeletons in the closet.  Some find out it is a lot more work then they expected.  Some researcher find a skeleton stop researching and hope that it will never be found out.  I think you have a lot more that just read and feel a little overwhelmed.  You also have researchers who rewrite history.

I love the excitement of the hunt.  I try to reply to each email that is sent to me and to say thank you.  So if I have missed someone I'm so sorry.  To everyone on this list and others that I have missed.

Thank You!
Quan