VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2012

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:47:45 -0400
YES !  Thank you.
My particular concern is for Halifax and Pittsylvania counties, which is
where I do the most research.

Carole Bryant

In a message dated 9/4/2012 8:45:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Ms.  Bryant,

Thank you very much for your comments on the CCRP video. Yes,  the good
work that the program does definitely continues, though at a reduced  level.
Given that the program's funding is so closely tied to the state's  housing
market, the last several years of collections have been lean but we  have
planned accordingly. The last few months  have been better and have  given us
hope that the collections are beginning to bounce back, albeit  slowly.

Despite the challenges, in fiscal year 2012 the program still  awarded 63
preservation grants to localities totaling nearly $400,000.00. The  program
also completed a number of digital chancery projects including ones  for
Petersburg, Lee, Craig, and Pulaski among others. In addition, we have  nearly
completed scanning the largest single chancery collection in the state  in
Augusta County. We have been fortunate to have the assistance of two  federal
grants (from NEH and NHPRC) to support these important digital  projects.
Important preservation work continues in all areas of the  program.

I hope this information is useful. Again, thank you for your  interest in
this important program.

Carl

Carl M.C.  Childs
Director, Local Records Services
Deputy Coordinator,
State  Historical Records Advisory Board
Library of Virginia: Archives of the  Commonwealth
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia  23219
804.692.3739
804.692.2277  (fax)