VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2003

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:12:45 -0500
The practice of whipping kids while processioning land in order that they remember the boundaries was largely  abandoned because more and more people could write and set forth property boundaries by a writing such as a deed and deed description, etc.

Processioning continued here until the last years of the 18th century.  "Lease and release" transfers also were common here till the early years of the 18th-C.  And "turf and twig" memorializations of transfers of land here were not yet completely abandoned till the last years of the 17th-C.  In my dictionary you will find definitions of those.