VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Marigay Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marigay Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:09:53 -0400
Good morning Listers,

  I've had a breakthrough of sorts, and would like to compare
information with others who are researching the couple Daniel WILSON
and his wife Elizabeth (Betsey) BLANKENSHIP, married January 1805 in
Chesterfield County, VA.
  The new info from the "Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography", vol. 4,
says the couple had 6  children.  I know that compiled biographies can
be suspect sources, but the facts presented in the articles about
various family members are correct as far as I know from other
research I've done.
  Here's what I know: Daniel Wilson married  an Elizabeth ?, born
abt. 1785.    I have located 3 children, George Nicholas Wilson,
1816-1901 (my gggrandfather), Elizabeth Wilson, abt. 1817-1890s
(memory fails me) and Daniel Wilson, 1825-1855.
      George N. Wilson married 1st Hypatia ALLEN in 1837, and 2nd
Mary Ellen WATKINS McKIEL in 1870 or 1871.  Hypatia, d/o Martha Allen.
 Mary Ellen Watkins, d/o Jabez Watkins & Julia Lee TAYLOR.  Mary Ellen
married a Mr. McKiel first,  he may have been business partner to
George N. Wilson.
There is a business listed in Richmond city directory called McKiel &
Wilson, tinners.  Later directories show the business evolves to be
called Wilson and WEST.
  Elizabeth Wilson married Hiram Lee WALKER, s/o Lancelot WALKER and
Sallie GREEN.  She was his 2nd wife.  The Walker & Wilson families are
neighbors per the census.
  Daniel Wilson, is on the 1850 Chesterfield census with his mother,
Elizabeth Wilson, age 65.  Daniel is 25 then.  He dies at 30,
unmarried, per Chesterfield Co. death register.  Have not found
Elizabeth's death, she's not in 1860 census of Chesterfield Co.

  I'm missing 3 children of Daniel & Elizabeth, if the compiled
biography is to be believed.  The book gives facts about the 2nd
family of George N. Wilson, especially info about his son Benjamin
Watkins Wilson, b. 1877, married 1901, Lillian TOMLINSON.  B. W.
Wilson began the B. W. Wilson Paper Company in Richmond, VA, 1904.  It
is still in existence, however it is no longer owned by the family.
Sold about 1970.
  The encyclopedia seems correct as far as it goes, it "just" leaves
out the previous marriages of George & Mary Ellen Wilson!  Plus
George's 1st family, from which I descend.
  Any cousins out there, I'd like to compare notes.
  Any opinions on the accuracy of the Encyclopedia of Virginia
Biography?  At least I gathered my facts from other sources first,
instead of relying on the compiled biography.  Sorry I got so
long-winded and thanks for reading.

Marigay

Marigay Holloway
Annandale, VA