VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:18:01 -0500
I believe that the use of headstones by early Baptists and their views as to the propriety of such varied widely across the Southern colonies.  I have had occasion to know of MANY early TN, NC, and VA Baptist congregations and of their cemeteries, and even within those burial lands, it is apparent that some thought the practice of creating monuments to be entirely proper, while other families of the same place known to me to have been of equal affluence (or lack of it) are conspicuous in their lack of such carvings.  Paul