VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:36:53 EST
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a passenger list for the ship "The Agreement" which landed
at Hogg Pen Neck, Kent County, MD in January of 1665.   My ancestors John
FAULKNER, wife Elizabeth (maybe FILMER), sons Francis, John & Thomas arrived
aboard that ship, he receiving headrights for self, children and two
servants.  These headrights  he later that year turned over to the ubiquitous
Maryland/Virginia landholder Daniel JENIFER, although it appears that one
Richard FITZALLEN was the conduit for payment of the tobacco.

Several of us (actually scores of us amounting to many Faulkners and most all
Fortners in the U.S.) are trying to determine the English ancestry of John
Faulkner & Elizabeth, his wife.  Information (posthumous baptismal sealings)
at the LDS website say the three sons on board the Agreement were born in
Wales, and John and Elizabeth Faulkner are first cousins and grandchildren of
Edward Filmer & Elizabeth ARGALL of East Sutton, Kent Co, England.  This
couple had other children/relatives who appear in early VA records. -- Henry
Filmer of Mulberry Island (father-in-law of Thomas "Seagull" Greene) her
brother Samuel Argall, Katherine Filmer daughter married Robert Barham, an
unplaced Edward Fellmore (headright claimed for in Northampton/Accomac), an
unplaced John Filmer in 1623 VA census, etc.

Contacts with Filmer researchers in Kent Co England, have not been able to
confirm the connection between the Faulkners above and the Filmers, though it
is likely no one has ever really looked for them in London , where there is a
marriage of Wm Faulkner & Elizabeth Filmer thought to be John's parents,  or
in Kent Co, England, the Filmer seat.   I've been told also that
recordkeeping during the Civil War and Cromwell's "reign" was notoriously
spotty and poor.  I have also reviewed without luck Filmer related
files/books at the Library of Virginia, the University of Virginia, and the
Library of Congress.

I am interested in the passenger list because there may be other passengers
listed who could reveal connections with the Filmer family, whose English
members during the 17th Century I have an abundance of information regarding.
 Via online searches, I have located only one other passenger on board the
Agreement -- an ASBURY from Kent Co England.

I am also interested in the English origins of Richard FITZALLEN and Daniel
JENNIFER, the latter I assume, perhaps incorrectly, to be the same gentleman
who soon after married  Accomac Co's reigning tyrant and "Prince of Darkness"
Charles SCARBOROUGH's mistress, Ann TOFT, after Scarborough's death.   Since
Fitzallen actually gave the Faulkners the tobacco, I assuming, perhaps
incorrectly, he was an agent of Jenifer.

Below is the document regarding the transfer of Faulkner's land rights to
Jenifer.

Any thoughts are most welcome,

My best wishes for the New Year,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter

        PAYMENT FOR TRANSATLANTIC TRIP ABOARD THE SAILING SHIP "AGREEMENT"

Be it known to all men by these present that I, John Faulkner of Hogg Pen
Neck in the county of Kent in the province of Maryland, Cordwaynder, in
consideration of three-hundred pounds of tobacco, well and truly paid to me
by Richard Fitzallen, the receipt whereof I do acknowledge by these present,
have assigned unto Mr. Daniel Jennifer of St. Maries all my right title,
interest claim and demands of and to all those lands and rights to land which
are become due unto me for or by reason of the condition of Plan Facon of the
right Honorable Ceceleus Baltimore, Lord Proprietary Of the province of
Maryland, for the transportation of myself and Elizabeth, my wife, and
Thomas, Francis, and John, my children, with Eliza Bloxom and Thomas Jones,
my servants, into the said Province on or about the twenty-second day of
January, 1665, And do hereby, for the considerations aforesaid, assign and
make over all my rights, title, interest, claim and demands of, and to all
the premises to the said Daniel Jennifer to the only proper use and behold of
him, his heirs and assignees forever. As witness my hand and seal this
nineteenth day of November, 1665.

John Faulkner  X

/s/ Nicholas Pichard  X
/s/ Edmond Barton  X