VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:11:22 -0600

Hello, Steve.

To use your words, I guess I could ask why you "keep harping" about what a
bargain Ancestry is, and also tell you to "Quit making Ancestry out to
be..." a gaggle of charitable folks.  However, as professionals, I think we
both might rise above such snide remarks.  Whatever.

We both have been equally remiss.  You have not told the readers that your
comments about Ancestry are in large measure reflective of the needs of a
professional whose costs and time are limited and must be carefully managed,
all to the end that you not overcharge your clients, and, moreover, one who
often is hurried by the demands or desires of such clients.  You might go on
to say that your desires are two-fold; a) to enjoy the search for your own
family, and b) to be of service to others and at the same time produce a
measure of income.

I have been equally remiss in not revealing that my remarks arise, not from
the requirements of a practicing and highly knowledgeable professional such
as you, but rather, from one who teaches both beginning genealogy and the
writing of genealogical narrative at local colleges, at libraries here and
near here, and in seminars in and about the middle Southeast.  I might go on
to reveal that my students and attendees, almost without exception, are
those folks of limited means, who have little or no knowledge of computer
searching, are interested in "climbing their family tree", and yet have no
plans to do other than search locally at their leisure, at the libraries and
archives, and within the courthouses.

Enough of such verbiage.  You asked what I charge; nearly the same as do
you.  I get 30.00 an hour here or wherever + copies + gas for all mileage
over 15 miles one way.  I charge the seminars 200.00 for 6 hours again, plus
all expenses, and always maintain the right to sell my own books as
textbooks.  I might add that I do little teaching since last fall (and
likely very little in the future) since I had 2 minor strokes that causes my
left leg to refuse to obey and thus affects my driving. :-)

I enjoy your remarks. By the way, where do you live ??

Cordially

Paul

www.DrakesBooks.com