VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:36:00 -0500
Researchers all --

Annette Gordon-Reed, in her Hemings book, refers to the 1833 census, "conducted to count the free blacks in the community for purposes of determining which of them wanted to be resettled in Africa ... ."  I have never heard of this 1833 cenus.  A Google search turned up nothing useful.

Was this a Federal census?  A Virginia census?  Surely not an Albemarle census.

Where are the records?  Where can I find out more about it?

Thank you.

Sally Phillips