VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 08:56:50 EDT
Week after next I will be spending afternoons at the National Archives (while
the kids are at a weeklong sleepaway camp).  I have checked with their
Customer Service to make sure the area of research is open (it is) and what
their hours are.

I have at least two major brickwalls that online research, hands-on City of
Norfolk Courthouse and LVa records and last summer's week at the DAR Library
did not completely knock down.

Would any of you have suggestions on what areas at the Archives might help?
Are the Confederate records there?  I have an old Navy Captain (Confederacy
had them listed within the Cavalry) whose card in the Library of Virginia
shows him.  A published account merged alot of info not related to him but
included people with the same last name instead (including his younger son)
as if him.  I am just trying to get a bit more info on this guy.  He was the
"founder" and head of Young's Harborguard, John James Young, a Canadian
immigrant (between 1830s-1844 when he married) occasionally listing on Census
records his POB as Maine.  He died in Norfolk 9/7/1883 at age 66 (I have his
obit & city death record transcribed) but he may have been buried (pretty
assuredly) on the now paved over grounds of the old St Mary's Church on Holt
Street in Norfolk.  The stones were not kept and the Church records are too
brittle to be allowed access (I was told in a letter).  I have vague info on
his parents, John from Dumfries Scotland and Mary the widow of an Englishman,
Holbrooke; her maiden name may be Holdstock; DOB 6/7/1817.

One of his subordinates, Lloyd Thomas Reed, is the son of another brickwall,
Joshua David Reed.  I can find absolutely nothing on him as far as where in
Virginia he is from and who his parents may be.  I found his son's electronic
card on the Library's online records as well.  I've found JDR's marriage
record and his gravestone (nothing further in the cemetery's office records).
 His stats are DOB 10/11/1820 Norfolk (Berkeley, then called Ferry's Point),
DOM 11/16/1841 Norfolk, DOD 4/22/1885 Norfolk (residence on Bank Street,
occupation Hatter).

These two fellows are enough to keep me busy for a week.  I am just looking
for a little direction.  Any suggestions out there of resources you found at
the Archives (or not)?

Thanking you in advance,
Katie Holland
Washington, DC