VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:19:45 -0500
Indeed, Paul, I'm from Maryland originally, and grandaunts and granduncles are what I always called (and still call) my grandfather's numerous siblings.  I noted in  my e-mail that it was a slightly archaic usage since you don't hear the terms grandaunt and granduncle much any more, even in the south.  I don't know why not, they are certainly more descriptive and less confusing -- and with more people living longer there are more of them around!

kathy