VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:11:26 -0700
P.S. Inserting my PS  here to suggest that you may want to scroll down to my questions and avoid the complications.

Thanks everyone.   I've been away from this list for almost a year, and it was nice to see friends who've helped in the past try once again to respond to one of my convoluted queries.  By the time I'm done with this, you may be sorry I'm back.  Perhaps if I state the problem I'm hoping to solve, it will be easier to understand what I'm trying to find out from the land records.

Thomas Rowland was born in Orange/Augusta Co. in 1741 (Bible record on-hand).  His dob and dod of his father  Robert  Rowland in 1782  "at age 66"  are the only known vital dates for this family prior to the 1750s.   According to all records I have found to date, Robert and his sons --James, Thomas, George and William, and their descendants-- were probably the only Rowlands to own land in Augusta/Botetourt Co. prior to the 1780s.

 Bottom Line:   I'd like to prove/disprove this to my own satisfaction.

 It is believed --but not proven-- that  Robert was among the small group of non-Germans who came from PA to the Valley of Virginia with Yost Hite (Joist Hite) in 1732.  It is believed --but again, unproven-- that Robert was NOT the immigrant-ancestor.

The earliest land transaction I have found recorded in VA for Robert Rowland is a grant for 369 ac. on Looney's Ck. (branch of the James)  in 1746.  By the time his 4 sons were in their teens, he had acquired much more, and later deeded each son approx. 400 ac.

Now to my quandary:  In a  list of surveys by William Preston, asst. surveyor for Augusta Co.  are  many entries for Rowlands, incl. these:

Sep 1753, James Rowland, Grant, 400 ac on....Looney's Mill Cr.
Nov 1754, Thomas Rowland-- on Branch of Looney's-- 74 ac., survey

 In  land records available at LVA, is a July 1767 grant of 74 ac.to Thomas that appears to be the same ac. as that surveyed in 1754.  It abuts land owned by his father, Robert Rowland.

My questions have to do with proving/disproving that the James and Thomas named above are the SONS of Robert Rowland and not his brothers or?

 Q: Did men have to have reached  21 yr. before receiving land grants  in 1753?  What's the youngest James  could have been  receive a land grant that year?  Any exceptions?   The grant he received seems to be identified as a "new grant".

 Q: In 1754,  Thomas Rowland,  the son of Robert,   was only 13 yrs. old.  Could the survey have been made in his name or on his behalf and "held'  unclaimed  until 1767?

 I suspect this is far more than any of you care to know about the Rowlands of Augusta/Botetourt Co., and more complicated than intended.  Sorry.

Thanks again for all the information.  I can't pretend I've had time to carefully read all of the material you've sent, but will do so now.  Wanted to get this sent so you'd have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Joanne

Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

You are correct as to the issuance of warrants, such as for land resulting from headrights. The question, however, as I understood it, concerned grants. If that was not the question, JoAnne, and you were speaking of warrants such as those resulting from paying for transport of folks to the VA Colony, please restate the problem. Thanks. Paul