VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:24:17 -0700
Has anyone considered writing to their Congressional representative?  NARA is a federal agency.  This is an election year for some in Congress.  This is the kind of stuff they want to hear.  This is also when they are making adjustments to the FY07 budget money (FY begins Oct 1).  It is also when the FY08 budget requests are being considered.  Congress can specifically "assign" funds to this; the agency generally cannot restrict like Congress can.  There are too many people within an agency to shift priorities within a budget allocation.  If Congress specifically puts a $$ figure for a "project", in this case, hours, resources and FTE (people) involved, the agency cannot play around and use the money elsewhere (and in this case, delete hours/days in which to serve the public in the effort to fund something else).

  Congress has email as well.  I would strongly suggest everyone on this list put something in email today about NARA and the proposals.  If you don't know your Congressional district number off hand just "sign" your name and include your mailing address; they will pick up on that real quick.  It is worth your time and effort, believe me.  There are enough people on this list to get attention.  And there are enough of us on other lists to forward this over or make the suggestion to other lists.  If you think this is important enough to discuss on a Sunday morning in email, it is important enough to email Congress.

  Katie Holland
  Silver Spring, MD
  born in VA, though