VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Tim Spradling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:54:09 EDT

The days of haunting the Archives are not over for me (plus it's a  lot of
fun). A DNA match only shows you have an ancestor in common with  someone
else. The further back you go looking for a match, the more likely  it is you
have more than one ancestor in common. For instance you might  be trying to
match your SMITH ancestor with another  person's SMITH ancestor that was
born ~ 1700. You don't realize it but  you also have a JOHNSON ancestor in
common too. You get a DNA match and  therefore assume that your SMITH ancestor
is the same as the other  persons, when it could be the JOHNSON ancestor. I'm
even related to  myself as I have two cases already where I have the same
pair of  Grandparents, once on my Maternal side and once on my Paternal side.

In a message dated 3/14/2011 2:43:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,