VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2011

From:
"George W. Durman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:25:19 -0400

Byron,

I don't know about others, but in one case I have the "mark" was
consistent.

Johannes SCHNEPP, Sr. (John SNAPP, Sr., in America) was from
Alsace-Lorraine (now Bas-Rhin, France).  In Alsace-Lorraine, he
signed a paper indicating he had received his share of the estate
from his mother.  The "mark" was a shepherd's crook through an
"S" in an oversize "H".  This same mark was used by him when he
signed the manifest of the ship "Samuel" in 1733, and again on
his will in 1762.

So, at least in this case, the "mark" was consistent.

George

*********START OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT*********