VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
John Shroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Shroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:56:33 -0400

> First, get there very early --- as soon as they open --- and expect to
stay
> there until they close if you want to make the most of your time.  It can
> take a VERY long time to get original records pulled.  I've waited hours
for
> one record.  If you find something of interest, request it right away
since
> you may have to wait for it, especially around lunch time.

###########Can't you still submit a letter 3 days in advance asking for a
record to be made available and then have it available when you arrive?  I
believe that worked for pension files at least, when I last used them
several years ago.  There was a brochure on various types of records with
procedural guidelines but a telephone call or two in advance asking about
procedures could save considerable time while there.  Did you check their
web site for procedures?  ####