VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2001

From:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:01:19 -0400
I subscribe to the VA ROOTS LlST and need help with a genealogical problem
having to do with Baltimore and hope that you might be able to help or
suggest something. I have been impressed in the past with how helpful list
members have been with comments on problems posted on this list.

My wife got me interested in genealogy when she started researching her
ancestors. Her surname is KERCADO (variations: Carcado, Kercadio, de
Kercado, de Carcado, Seneschal de Kercado, Seneschal de Carcado). She is
from Puerto Rico, but Spanish names beginning with the letter K are
non-existent. She traced her ancestry back to minor nobility from Brittany,
France, who had come over and settled in various parts of the Caribbean
before settling in Puerto Rico.

We found in the National Archives records of Kercados arriving in Baltimore
7/1/1839, but no ship is named on the index cards (microfilm of index
cards, actually), and Nationality and Origin are listed only as "West
Indies." As you can imagine, we are very interested in any additional
information which might be available, such as:

Name and ownership of ship
Specific place of origin
Did they bring any cargo (they are noted to be "merchants")?
No women are listed, yet several children as young as one year are listed
with the group, and this strikes us as odd. Were there really no women, or
at that time did they simply not list women?

The index cards show:

G. Kercado, 46 years old,
G. Kercado, 26 years old --- merchant
Charles Kercado, 12 years old --- merchant [in spite of his youth]
Guagin Kercado, 11 years old [first name is not a usual spelling in either
French or Spanish --- Joaquin or Joachim?]
G. Kercado 8 years old
Manuel Kercado, 2 years old
Alfred Kercado, 1 year old

at the bottom of each card is written, below the printed format of the card
in the lower margin: "P. 20   Balt. 43"

Might this give a clue to where to find any more information.

What we are hoping for from you, if you are able, is:

Any thoughts you might have about how to develop this further?

Do you know where in Baltimore or elsewhere we might go to find more
information?

Any comments at all which you think might be useful?

Thanks in advance.

Tucker Ranson <[log in to unmask]>

Virginia Kercado <[log in to unmask]>