VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Daryl Lytton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 14:23:13 -0700
> From: Janice Friel
>
> I use all these sites as guidelines. I don't trust anything but the
> original document! With the help of these sites and data it gives
> me the place and name to search and then find the Proof.

That's the same thing I do. I view those other sites as extremely valuable
tools. Sometimes they cite sources which I then verify, if they don't then
I look for sources, and if I can't find sources I'll make a note of that in
the hopes that someday someone will come along with a source.

I also have to remind myself that not all our ancestors left primary
records, and sometimes the only source is family history passed down
through the generations.

Using those other sites has cut way down on the amount of time I have to
spend on research, and I am very grateful of them. They remind be of the
First Rule of Genealogy, find a cousin who has already done the research.

Daryl